It is that time of year when it feels challenging to find the most appropriate recipes to our seasonal veggies. Here is a delicious recipe that will make your mouth and bellies really happy…
roasted beet and kale salad
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 1 bunch kale, washed, dried, ribs removed, roughly chopped
- 6 beets, washed, dried and peeled
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 tbsp slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare ingredients as indicated above.
- Toss kale with salt, pepper and a little olive oil. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Roast in oven for a brief five minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Take peeled beets and cut them into 1 1/2 wedges. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle with rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Toss with a little olive oil making sure beets are well-coated with the olive oil and spices.
- Place the beets on the middle rack of the 400 degrees F-heated oven. Roast for 45 minutes, tossing/turning beets twice.
- While beets are roasting, make the lemon-honey vinaigrette. Simply mix vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl, whisk to combine. Set aside.
- When beets are tender to your liking, remove from oven and let them cool slightly.
- In a medium salad bowl, combine kale, beets and sliced red onions. Dress your salad with the lemon-honey vinaigrette, and toss together. Garnish with the toasted slivered almonds. Enjoy!