Healthy Creamy Kale Dip
- Pepper Slices
- Low-Calorie Pita Chips
- 1 bunch green kale, stems and tough ribs stripped out and discarded, leaves sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Lemon zest to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine kale, onion, garlic and 1/4 cup water. Set over medium heat, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender, about 12 minutes; add more water a tablespoon at a time if the pan dries out.
- Transfer vegetables and any liquid in the pan to a food processor or blender and let cool a few minutes. Add ricotta, parmesan, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper flakes. Process until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Yogurt and Spice Grilled Skewers
- Dipping sauce:
- 1/3 cup honey mustard
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, trimmed of visible fat
- 12 metal or wooden skewers
1. For the dipping sauce, mix the honey mustard and sour cream in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until needed. This sauce can be made up to 2 days in advance.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients; set aside.
3. Cut each chicken breast lengthwise into 4 long, thin strips. You should end up with about 12 strips. Place the strips into a gallon-size zip-top plastic bag. Pour the marinade mixture over the chicken, and close the bag. Then flip the bag a few times to ensure that all pieces are coated with marinade, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
4. When ready to cook, transfer the chicken to a colander to drain off excess marinade. With clean hands, skewer each piece of chicken, threading it onto the end of a skewer. Continue until all of the chicken pieces are skewered.
5. Preheat the grill or grill pan to medium heat. Cook for about 2 1/2 minutes on each side, testing chicken for doneness before serving (meat should be opaque). Transfer skewers to a clean platter.
6. Remove the chicken from the skewers, if desired. Serve chicken while hot with the dipping sauce alongside.
Spicy Sweet Slaw
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage and carrot mix
- 1 1/4 cups red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch strips (1 pepper)
- 1/2 cup diagonally cut scallions
- 1 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
1. In a large bowl, toss the cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw, red bell pepper, scallions, and grape tomatoes together. Set aside.
2. Combine the horseradish and next four ingredients (through salt) in a small jar and shake until blended. Remove the lid and add the canola oil. Shake again. Or whisk the ingredients together in a small bowl.
3. Pour dressing over the salad and toss to coat vegetables. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve.