This French classic is sure to please and uses a lot of summer vegetables in the process!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into thin slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into slivers
- 4 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
- Over medium-low heat, add the oil to a large skillet with the onion, garlic, and bay leaf, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened.
- Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until the eggplant has softened. Stir in the zucchini, red bell pepper, tomatoes, and salt, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the basil and few grinds of pepper to taste.
Per Serving: Calories 151, Calcium 41mg, Carbohydrate 14g, Cholesterol 0mg, Fat 11g, Fiber 5g, Iron 1mg, Protein 3mg, Sat Fat 1g, Sodium 586mg